A flood can bring on all sorts of damage to your house. For example, the water may have compromised the foundation, leaving you with an enormous repair bill and a six-month wait for a contractor. 

But sometimes, there isn’t much you can do but dry out the water and see how it affects your home structure – or at least try to prevent further damage from happening. In many cases, especially if you have a well-constructed house, as long as the foundation is solid and the walls are not too wet, you can dry out your house and keep it livable.

Listed below are some steps you can take to dry out a home as quickly as possible: 

Patch up uneven ceilings

Most people don’t realise how precarious a wet ceiling can be until something goes wrong. If your ceiling has become damaged or starts to collapse, fix it immediately before water and the mould and mildew that grows in it cause further damage to your house.

Seal cracks in the walls

If your walls are wet, it is essential to seal up all of the cracks and leaks. That will prevent water from entering the structures and affecting the structures further.

Shut off utilities to stop flooding

If your house is flooded, you may wake up one morning to find that you cannot turn on the tap or switch on your utility service. The first step is to shut off the utilities to prevent further damage.

Get rid of water in the basement

If your basement is flooded, try to remove as much water as possible. Do this without causing too much damage to the structure of the house. 

If you do not have a sump pump or are worried about damaging your home, or do not have the space to consider anything else, contact a service provider that can help remove the water in your basement for you.

Call a professional if your home is on the brink

If your basement is flooded and you see any other leaks, for example, from the roof, call a contractor to dry out your house. A professional can help you get rid of any standing water that remains in your home while also determining whether further damage has been caused. 

If a professional’s advice is that you should move out immediately, do it. That way, there will be minimal damage to your house, and you won’t have to worry about making repairs later on.

Move your valuables to dry spots

If it isn’t too late, consider moving out some of your valuables to less-damp spots where water cannot penetrate. If you have valuable belongings that you wish to take with you, consider taking them with you if possible while also making sure that they are securely packed. 

Fix your driveway if water has entered it

If water is flooding your driveway, the first step is to stop water flow into it with sandbags or other barriers. In addition, you can spread a thin layer of sand and then soak this sand with a cinder. After you’ve done this, let it dry out for a few days before you drive over the sand layer. 

Some people also recommend crushed brick or perlite to keep sand from blowing away with heavy wind. However, if these don’t work or you cannot do this, call in a professional.

To sum it up, if your house becomes damaged during a flood, it can be challenging to determine whether you are better off fixing the damage or simply moving out. Each situation is different because each house is built differently. 

If you are concerned about the damage to your home, don’t hesitate to ask for help from a contractor who can assess the damage and guide you through the following steps. For example, if the foundation of your house has been severely compromised by flooding, consider calling in a professional immediately.


To find a reputable contractor to dry out your house, answer the following questions:

Do you want a cheap, eco-friendly solution?

If you want to save money and decrease your environmental footprint, consider using a dehumidifier and drying equipment that takes heat from the air and uses to dry out your house. Of course, if you can afford it, professional service providers may offer better solutions.

What kind of help do you need?

If you need a water extraction specialist, search for a contractor that can help with this. For example, if you don’t have a basement but the house is flooded, consider a company that can remove water from your walls or ceiling. 

How big is the job?

If you have a large house, consider hiring a service provider with experience with more significant properties. For example, if only your basement is flooded, there should be no problem finding someone to help you out. 

Are you looking for a regular service provider or an emergency service provider?

If you are looking for regular maintenance, hire someone that can come by regularly to check on your house as soon as you spot the first leak. In contrast, consider asking around for recommendations from friends and family if you need a contractor that can come quickly to help with a flood or other damage.

Check the contractor’s certifications

Check for construction certifications in your area. If possible, hire someone who has experience in water damage repair. That will give you peace of mind that you are working with a professional who can help fix your home quickly so you can get back to normal as soon as possible. 

As such, Reztor Restoration has been helping families and businesses in Queensland for years. In addition to flood damage restoration, we specialise in water damage restoration, fire and smoke damage restoration, and mould removal.

In closing, if your house is flooded by water damage, you should contact one of our experienced technicians at Reztor Restoration immediately. A professional can help assess the extent of the damage and help you with the following steps. 

Find out more by calling 1800 739 867. Our team of professionals is ready to come out immediately to assess your property for any water damage or fire damage and provide you with a free quote.

However, if you are also facing water damage on other parts of the exterior of your house or if your house is more extensive than most others in your area, consider asking around for recommendations.